Last updated: 05 January 2019
By Maynard Paton
Thank you for visiting my Blog.
Some of you may already recognise my name, as I wrote investment articles and e-mails for The Motley Fool UK between 1999 and 2014.
At the start of 2015, aged 43, I became a full-time private investor.
I have outlined what I did to get there within How Shares Helped Me Quit The Day Job and My Story To Becoming Mortgage-Free And Retiring Early.
From September 2018, I have also enjoyed a small side-income from SharePad.
I created this Blog simply to collate all my investment posts in one place, rather than have them spread over various websites.
I have always believed publishing my investment thoughts and research has helped me to improve my portfolio returns.
In particular, writing down exactly why I have bought a share — knowing that others will read the text and try to pick holes — has always forced me to assess the upside potential and downside risks of my investments in greater depth.
Publishing also persuades me to keep my share ideas simple. When a write-up starts to become lengthy and complicated, I have often found the company in question comes with higher risks and therefore more chance of disappointment.
An unexpected bonus of writing this Blog are the informative snippets that arrive through this contact form. Many thanks to everyone that has sent a message.
I have divided my Blog into different Categories:
- My Shares: Posts about shares I own.
- My Portfolio: Posts about my overall portfolio.
- My SharePad Articles: Posts linking to my articles published on SharePad.
- My Sold Shares: Posts about shares I have sold.
- My How-To-Evaluate Guides: Posts about assessing tricky investing subjects.
My Blog contains some old Categories that I no longer use:
- My Watch List: Posts about shares on my watch list.
- My Rejected Shares: Posts about shares I have rejected for my watch list.
- My Initial Reviews: Posts about shares I had thought looked interesting (but weren’t).
You can receive my Blog posts through an occasional e-mail newsletter.
You can also follow me on Twitter.
And here are the resources I use to select my shares and maintain this Blog.
Unlike most other investment bloggers, commentators, tweeters and writers:
- I do not hide behind a pseudonym;
- I publish my portfolio’s holdings and returns, and;
- I maintain a free Blog with no adverts, no subscription fees and no mandatory registration.
Please note all opinions on this Blog are mine. I would urge you to read my DISCLAIMER.
Furthermore, please understand this Blog is a personal and non-commercial project. Posts will be infrequent and the site’s layout may appear peculiar at times as I experiment with WordPress and plugins.
I hope you enjoy the Blog.